Tuesday, 24 July 2012

Tour de France, Tour de Force.

I have never been much of a fan of competitive bicyling, which is odd, because I am a fan of engineering, and my trusty Brompton folding bike (a miracle of good-sense engineering) is one of the loves of my life.

But I digress.

Apparently, in 1953, (I can't say for sure because I wasn't there) there was an Annus Mirabilis. This is queen-talk for "a jolly good year." All kinds of good things happened, and chief among them - the Queen's Coronation itself notwithstanding - was the death of Stalin and the achievement of Sir Edmund Hillary and Namgyal Wangdi in being, so far as we know, the first men to reach the summit of the world's highest mountain.

Perhaps this London Olympic year will be another Annus Mirabilis, and Bradley Wiggins' mopping up of the French (and others) will be, like the good news that once came down from Nepal, an omen of Great Things. You can't beat a good beating of the French, if you're English.

Well Done, Bradley Wiggins!

No comments:

Post a Comment